To see all content, you will need the current version of Adobe Flash Player to view it.
Home Visit Arrangements Lecture Location Application Form Members Photos War Time Memories 2011 Constitution 2011 AGM Report The New Forest Remembers Project Books of local interest AGMagenda13 Damerham GraveofJohn Jane Oliver 2017lectures WinterLectures17and18
FORDINGBRIDGE HISTORICAL SOCIETY PROGRAMME 2016-2017All meetings start at 2.30pm in St Mary’s Church Hall, Fordingbridge9 JANUARYOLD FORDINGBRIDGE IN PICTURESIan Newman was breed and bon in the Fordingbridge 61 years ago. He went to school here and has worked in and around the town most of his working life, owning his own Undertaking business here since 1988. He has been lucky to record the many memories of older generations plus his own.. This is his view of Fordingbridge based on his and their memories. Ian Newman, who needs no introduction 13 FEBRUARYA THOUSAND YEARS OF WILTON HOUSE GARDENS . John Kitching has been involved with Wilton House for the last 30 years and his wife has been a guide and later Head guide at the house for much of that time. His background of engineering led him first to study the famous 17th C grotto and then widened into a general interest in the development of the gardens, about which he is now writing a history. He will talk about the long history of the site and in particular about the last 500 years during its ownership by the Earls of Pembroke.John Kitching, Wilton House Historian17 MARCHTHE POWDER MILL AT EYEWORTHAn account of the manufacture of gunpowder in the New Forest between 1860 and the early 1920s looking at Drayson and Cambell 's black powder works and the activities of the Schultze Smokeless Gunpowder Company from 1869 until its closure in about 1922.Stephen Ings, local historian and author10 APRILHOW THE BUILDERS OF BATH WENT BUST For the builders of Georgian Bath the collapse of several of the Bath banks in 1793 saw grand schemes for the expansion of the city come crashing to a halt. This talk explores the impact of the financial collapse on Georgian Bath, and reveals how after the townhouse terraces of the 18th century died out the villas of the 19th century were born. Amy Frost, Curator of the Beckford Tower Museum and TrustMore on the Gunpowder Factory at FrithamEyeworth Pond was only created in the second half of the 19th century by the Schultze Gunpowder Company, an organisation that for many years had premises in the grounds of nearby Eyeworth Lodge.Work on the factory started in around 1860, although Captain Schultze, who lent his name to the enterprise, did not become involved until 9 years later. The remote New Forest location, surely out of keeping for such an endeavour, was selected to limit potential damage should unexpected explosions occur.A trade pamphlet published in 1896 notes that the Company employed upwards of 100 people in 60 buildings. The factory was sold just before the First World War, but continued in operation under new ownership until 1921.